The Benefits of Choosing an ASPS Member Surgeon for Your Liposuction Procedure
If you have decided to slim and sculpt your body with liposuction, there are several important choices you will need to make, including the plastic surgeon that will perform your procedure. To ensure the most successful results, you will need to choose a surgeon who has exceptional training and skill, such as a surgeon who is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).
In this blog post, Albany plastic surgeon Dr. Bruce Barach explains what ASPS membership entails.
The ASPS is the largest plastic surgery specialty organization in the world, representing 94 percent of all board-certified plastic surgeons in the U.S. A leading authority in plastic surgery, the ASPS advocates the highest standards in training, safety, ethics, physician practice and research in the industry. By choosing an ASPS member, you can rest assured that you are choosing a board-certified surgeon that is uniquely qualified to perform plastic and reconstructive surgery because of the society’s rigorous requirements.
In order to become an ASPS member, a plastic surgeon must:
- Be board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. The ABPS is the only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties to govern plastic surgeons. Non-certified plastic surgeons may lack the training, knowledge and experience needed to safely perform surgery.
- Have graduated from an accredited medical school.
- Have completed at least six years of surgical training, with a minimum of three years of plastic surgery residency training.
- Have passed comprehensive oral and written exams on plastic surgery.
- Complete continuing medical education. This ensures that your surgeon is up to date on the most advanced and safest practices in plastic surgery.
- Practice in accredited, state-licensed, or Medicare-certified surgical facilities. Facility accreditation is important because it means your surgeon and medical team have the proper support, training and equipment needed to address complications and medical emergencies.
In addition to ASPS membership, you should select a plastic surgeon that has years of experience performing liposuction. They should also have a track record of delivering safe and successful liposuction results. Viewing before-and-after photos and reading patient testimonials are great ways to gauge your potential surgeon’s skill and patient care.
Schedule a Consultation with Dr. Barach
Dr. Barach is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a longstanding member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, as well as several other prestigious professional organizations. We invite you to learn more about Dr. Barach’s credentials by visiting our website or scheduling a consultation with the surgeon. Contact his Albany plastic surgery practice by calling (518) 346-3125 today.