Statistics from ASPS Reveal the Shape of Plastic Surgery
The latest report from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons shows that more people are undergoing plastic surgery to enhance their appearance. There were 17.5 million surgical and non-surgical cosmetic procedures performed in 2017, a 2 percent increase from the previous year. In addition, the report reveals that non-surgical procedures have increased nearly 200 percent since 2000. More specifically, Americans are turning to new and innovative non-surgical treatments to sculpt their bodies.
Dr. Bruce Barach, a top plastic surgeon in Albany and the surrounding area, discusses these findings in this blog post.
Top Surgical and Non-Surgical Procedures
Approximately 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed in 2017. The top procedures were:
- Breast augmentation (300,378 procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Liposuction (246,354 procedures, up 5 percent from 2016)
- Eyelid surgery (209,571 procedures, approximately the same as 2016)
- Tummy tuck (129,753 procedures, up 2 percent from 2016)
A whopping 15.7 million cosmetic non-surgical procedures were performed in 2017. The top five were:
- Botox (7.23 million procedures, up 2 percent from 2016)
- Dermal fillers (2.69 million procedures, up 3 percent from 2016)
- Chemical peel (1.37 million procedures, up 1 percent since 2016)
- Laser hair removal (1.1 million procedures, down 2 percent from 2016)
- Microdermabrasion (740,287 procedures, down 4 percent from 2016)
Non-Surgical Skin Tightening Procedures Surge
Non-surgical procedures that focus on tightening lax skin increased by 9 percent from the previous year. Among the most popular non-surgical skin tightening treatments available today is Ultherapy. This innovative treatment uses ultrasound energy to trigger the body’s production of collagen, which in turn lifts and tones sagging skin on the face and neck. Dr. Barach is pleased to offer Ultherapy to patients who wish to rejuvenate their appearance without surgery, incisions, or injections, and with little to no downtime.
To discuss your cosmetic treatment options, schedule a consultation with Dr. Barach. The trusted plastic surgeon will gladly meet with you to discuss your aesthetic needs and goals, and recommend the best treatment plan. Contact his Albany plastic surgery practice by calling (518) 346-3125 today.